Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Pre-installed VM Versus Building My Own

To be quite honest, I think I liked building our own VM. At least for me this provided more insight so that I understood what the requirements were and what elements were needed to make a VM work. Having a pre-installed VM didn’t give me the complete perspective and especially the appreciation for a VM. The preconfigured solution did not mean that I dedicated more time to the collection. Instead I dedicated myself to other things that needed to be done. In having to perform the configuration I felt that I forced myself to be thinking of why certain configurations were necessary and how they would fit into the overall creation of the VM and add to the functionality. Yes, for me I would definitely have to say that loosing the opportunity to learn about how a repository is structured and modified from scratch prevented me from getting a better grasp on the repository as a whole and how there are different elements that provide differ features and also how some depend on each other, this forced me to think about the collection from the beginning. This is as opposed to dealing with a collection and not having an understanding of how it can be used within the repository and what a repository has as its main and potential features to enhance your collection or that limit your collection. I most definitely have to say that my preference is to build my own. This will remain true as long as the instruction tell us what we are doing and why.

No comments: